International Day of Democracy 2023 | Theme, History, and Quotes
International Day of Democracy is a global event that is celebrated every year on September 15 to promote and uphold the principles of democracy. The day was established by the United Nations General Assembly in 2007, following a request by the Inter-Parliamentary Union (IPU), a global organization of national parliaments. The day aims to raise awareness about the importance of democracy, encourage dialogue and participation among citizens, and celebrate the achievements and challenges of democracy around the world.
The idea of celebrating International Day of Democracy originated from the IPU, which adopted the Universal Declaration on Democracy in 1997. The declaration affirmed that democracy is a universal value based on the freely expressed will of people to determine their own political, economic, social and cultural systems. In 2007, the IPU proposed that September 15 be observed as International Day of Democracy, marking the ten-year anniversary of the adoption of the declaration. The UN General Assembly unanimously adopted a resolution on November 8, 2007, declaring September 15 as International Day of Democracy. The first celebration of this day occurred in 2008.
The theme for International Day of Democracy 2023 is ‘Empowering the Next Generation’. This theme reflects the need to engage and empower young people in democratic processes and institutions, as they are the future leaders and citizens of the world. According to the UN, there are more than 1.8 billion young people aged 10 to 24 in the world today, making up nearly a quarter of the global population. However, many young people face barriers to participate in political and civic life, such as lack of education, information, opportunities, and representation. The theme for 2023 calls for enhancing youth participation and representation in democracy, ensuring their voices are heard and respected, and providing them with the skills and knowledge to contribute to sustainable development.
International Day of Democracy is significant because it celebrates the values and achievements of democracy, which is widely recognized as the best form of government that respects human rights, ensures accountability, and fosters peace and development. Democracy is not only about holding elections, but also about ensuring that people have a say in how they are governed, that their views are respected, and that their needs are met. Democracy also requires a vibrant civil society, a free and independent media, a strong rule of law, and a culture of tolerance and dialogue. International Day of Democracy is an opportunity to reflect on the progress that has been made towards democracy around the world, and to recommit to the ideals of democracy.
Image Source: Freepik
Wishes and quotes
On this occasion of International Day of Democracy, here are some wishes and quotes that you can share with your friends, family, colleagues, or anyone who values democracy or aspires to live in a democratic society.
- Happy International Day of Democracy to all who believe in the power of people. Let us celebrate our rights and responsibilities as citizens of a democratic world.
- Democracy is not a spectator sport; it requires active participation from everyone. On this International Day of Democracy, let us pledge to be more involved in our communities, our countries, and our world.
- Democracy is not a gift; it is a responsibility that we must uphold and protect. On this International Day of Democracy, let us remember those who fought for our freedom and democracy, and honor them by defending our democratic values.
- Democracy is not a destination; it is a journey that we must continue to pursue. On this International Day of Democracy, let us acknowledge the achievements and challenges of democracy around the world, and strive to make it more inclusive, responsive, and effective.
- Democracy is not a privilege; it is a right that we must claim and exercise. On this International Day of Democracy, let us raise our voice for democracy and demand that our leaders respect our will and our dignity.
- The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter – Winston Churchill. Happy International Day of Democracy.
- The essence of democracy is its assurance that every human being should so respect himself and should be so respected in his own personality that he should have opportunity equal to that of every other human being to show what he was meant to become – Anna Garlin Spencer. Happy International Day of Democracy.
- The most powerful weapon in the hands of the oppressor is the mind of the oppressed – Steve Biko. Happy International Day of Democracy.
- The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing – Edmund Burke. Happy International Day of Democracy.
- The true test of democracy is not how well we agree but how well we disagree – Shimon Peres. Happy International Day of Democracy.