National Engineer’s Day 2023 | Date, History, Theme, and Wishes
National Engineer’s Day is celebrated every year on September 15 in India to honour the remarkable contributions of engineers to society, acknowledge their innovative spirit, and highlight the critical role they play in shaping the world. This date holds special significance as it marks the birth anniversary of one of India’s greatest engineers and visionaries- Mokshagundam Visvesvaraya. The 2023 theme, ‘Engineering for a Sustainable Future,’ highlights engineers’ role in addressing global challenges such as climate change, energy security, and poverty alleviation.
National Engineer’s Day in India was first celebrated in 1968 by the Institution of Engineers (India) to commemorate the birth anniversary of Sir Mokshagundam Visvesvaraya, a renowned Indian engineer and statesman. In the field of engineering, Sir Visvesvaraya was a pioneer who significantly influenced the growth of India’s infrastructure. He was instrumental in the development of dams, irrigation networks, and other projects such as the Krishnaraja Sagar Dam in Karnataka, the flood protection system for Hyderabad, and the Bhadravati Iron and Steel Works. He was also a visionary leader who served as the Diwan of Mysore from 1912 to 1918 and implemented several reforms in education, industry, and agriculture. He was honoured with the Bharat Ratna, India’s highest civilian award, in 1955.
The 2023 National Engineer’s Day theme is ‘Engineering for a Sustainable Future’. This theme reflects the importance of engineering in achieving the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), which are a set of 17 global goals that aim to end poverty, protect the planet, and ensure peace and prosperity for all by 2030. Engineers have a vital role in designing and implementing solutions that are environmentally friendly, socially inclusive, and economically viable. Some of the areas where engineers can contribute to sustainable development are renewable energy, clean water and sanitation, smart cities, green buildings, waste management, and disaster resilience.
Image Source: Freepik
Engineer’s Day is incredibly significant because it celebrates the dedication, creativity, and achievements of engineers in society. It serves as a reminder of the crucial role engineers play in solving complicated problems, advancing technology, and raising the standard of living for people around the world. Engineer’s Day is also a celebration of creativity and progress because it not only recognises the contributions of early engineers but also encourages current and future generations to keep pushing the boundaries of innovation and excellence. Engineer’s Day also provides an opportunity to inspire young students to pursue engineering as a career choice and to appreciate the diversity and potential of engineering disciplines.
Wishes and quotes
On this occasion of Engineer’s Day, here are some wishes and quotes that you can share with your friends, family, colleagues, or anyone who is an engineer or aspiring to be one.
- Happy Engineer’s Day to all the engineers who make our lives easier with their inventions and innovations.
- Engineers are the architects of our future. They turn dreams into reality with their skills and knowledge. Wishing you a very happy Engineer’s Day.
- Engineering is not just a profession; it is a passion that drives you to create something new every day. Happy Engineer’s Day to all the passionate engineers out there.
- The world needs more engineers who can think out of the box and solve the challenges of today and tomorrow. Happy Engineer’s Day to all the engineers who are making a difference.
- Engineering is the art of organising and directing men and controlling the forces and materials of nature for the benefit of the human race – Henry G. Stott. Happy Engineer’s Day.
- Science is about knowing; engineering is about doing – Henry Petroski. Happy Engineer’s Day to all the doers who make things happen.
- To be a good engineer, you need a vision that guides you, a curiosity that drives you, and a perseverance that sustains you. Happy Engineer’s Day.
- Engineering is not only a degree; it is an attitude that sets you apart from others. Happy Engineer’s Day to all the engineers who have this attitude.
- Engineers are like magicians who use their magic wand of logic and science to transform ideas into reality. Happy Engineer’s Day to all the magicians.
- Engineering is a great profession. There is the satisfaction of watching a figment of the imagination emerge through the aid of science to a plan on paper. Then it moves to realisation in stone or metal or energy. Then it brings jobs and homes to men. Then it elevates the standards of living and adds to the comforts of life. That is the engineer’s high privilege – Herbert Hoover. Happy Engineer’s Day.